Tuesday 1 November 2011

Identity among others 3rd individual essay of Humanistic studies

Everybody has their own identity. You cannot see it only from a side even there is most dominant identity that someone has. Reflect to myself, I am a girl who come from Sekayu, shopping and watching are my beloved hobbies, Palembang food is my favorite food. If you want to identify someone identities, you have to see from which side will you get focus more. For example I, the most dominant identity that I want everybody focus more is Sekayu, the place where I come from rather than see me as a woman. I really proud am being a Sekayuness because I was born and spent my days there. Sekayu’s culture is life strongly in my blood. The way I act and the accent of the speaking show that I am a Sekayuness. Actually Sekayu is part of Palembang but I do not want identify as a Palembangness.
The first time I meet someone, I will see their appearance and the way they speak. I mean I will guess what culture they have. I will do some approaching to know them more. I do not want to have wrong perspectives of them.  For me, someone’s identity is very important to make a strong character especially about the culture. As we know that culture is closest to stereotype. Take for an example Javaness is known as kind, polite and slow. Actually it just a stereotyping because I have many Javaness friends and not all of them like that.  Sometimes stereotyping is wrong. So that’s why you have to see the person from their different identities.
                     Identity is like a mirror. As we know that we have multiple identities and those identities are the  aspects for others to see us. Someone focus of identity sometimes different. Although they come from the same background culture but it does not mean they want to be see the same.  For example Siti and Hadi are from Javaness but both of them have different dominant identity. Siti want the focus of her identity is Javaness and Hadi want to see from a side of man. For me whatever which identity is the most dominant, you have to aware of it. Make it as your image. When somebody is talking about Sekayu, they will remain me. People are easy to know or understand you if you have a dominant and strong identity. The main point is however identities that someone has, we have to aware of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment